Major Sid Redburn, also called Hunter by his fellow Gears was a Gear of the Coalition of Ordered Governments Army in the Pendulum Wars and Locust War. Early in his career, he was stationed at the New Hope Research Facility where the children of the Imulsion miners who are sick with Rustlung are cared for and studied in order to find a cure. However, due to the unethical treatment and experimentation that he was ordered to perform on the children, Private Redburn became one of the many staff members to whistle blow the operation. The facility was shutted down. Major Redburn served in combat in the Pendulum Wars and he survived the conflict until the Locust War when the Locust Horde who are the descendants of the children that he was forced to torture emerged from the Hollow and slaughtered billions of humans. Major Redburn fought during the Locust War. In 1 A.E., he was placed on a mission along with Sgt. Gabriel Diaz to assassinate Ukkon who was one of the experiments that Major Redburn was familiar with at New Hope and he became the Locust Horde's top scientist in creating the creatures of mass destruction. Following the assassination of Ukkon, Major Redburn along with his comrades in Alpha-Two became Stranded due to Chairman Richard Prescott attempting to kill them after learning about New Hope.
- 1 Biography
- 1.1 Early Life
- 1.2 Pendulum Wars
- 1.3 Locust War
- 2 Documents
- 3 Skills
- 4 Behind the Scenes
- 5 Appearances
Biography[edit | edit source]
Early Life[edit | edit source]
Sid Redburn was born in Tyrus and he was raised in the family to become a Gear. His family was well-connected and his friends are with those in the high positions of the Coalition of Ordered Governments. Among them was Colonel Tolman who had close ties to Chairman Monroe.
Pendulum Wars[edit | edit source]
Early Career[edit | edit source]
Sid Redburn eventually joined the Coalition of Ordered Governments Army as a Gear with the rank of Private.
Guard of the New Hope Research Facility[edit | edit source]
- "Long time ago, I got posted to a genetics lab. They were supposed to be curing Rustlung. It went sideways. Instead of going after a cure, the doctors made... monsters. Convinced Chairman Monroe the things had military potential. But they were feral. Mindless. Except for one. Ukkon."
- —Major Sid Redburn about his experiences at New Hope.
After serving sometime as a Private in the Pendulum Wars, the Coalition High Command offered Private Redburn a "Career-making" opportunity that would not only advance his career, but also serve toward helping the greater good. This opportunity was being stationed at the New Hope Research Facility as a guard. Unknown to most of the population, the miners of Imulsion and their families began suffering from a fatal disease that was known as Rustlung and the Coalition opened the New Hope Research Facility to house and study the children of the Imulsion miners who are sick with Rustlung in order to find a cure.
Redburn was stationed at the facility by agreeing to the position out of patriotism and heroism. However, the Director of the facility and a geneticist named Dr. Niles Samson became less interested in simply finding a cure for Rustlung and he wanted to evolve humanity into superior and immortal beings with the potential to use them to end the Pendulum Wars. While he was stationed at New Hope, Redburn was ordered to chain the children to their beds, pin them to the floor while the scientists tapped their blood and treat them like prisoners. Dr. Samson began to mutate the children with the DNA of the indigenous creatures of the Hollow by transforming them into Sires.
Most of the Sires are feral and mindless creatures. However, one of the children named Ukkon retained his mental capacity and he terrorized the facility. Disturbed by Ukkon and the unethical treatment and experimentation on the children, Pvt. Redburn wrote to a family friend named Colonel Tolman to alert Chairman Monroe about the work that was being done by Niles Samson at New Hope. Unfortunately, the letter was intercepted by New Hope's security and Niles Samson ordered the termination of Private Sid Redburn. Despite this, the New Hope facility was exposed for it's crimes and it was officially shutted down by Chairman Monroe. However, many of the subjects and scientists including Niles Samson disappeared before the shutdown and appearing before court for their crimes.
Remainder of War[edit | edit source]
Due to his termination because of his attempt to unveil the wrongdoings at New Hope, Pvt. Redburn was pardoned. He spent the remainder of the Pendulum Wars as Major Redburn by fighting against the Union of Independent Republics. At a certain point in the war, Major Redburn lost his left eye and he replaced it with an eye patch. At an advanced age, Major Redburn was able to survive the war and witness the end of the Pendulum Wars after seventy-nine years.
Locust War[edit | edit source]
Emergence Day[edit | edit source]
Six weeks after the end of the Pendulum Wars, a race of subterranean creatures that are called the Locust Horde emerged in every major city on Sera to slaughter the human race. This day became known as Emergence Day which was the beginning of the Locust War. Within the first twenty-six hours of the attack, the Locust Horde managed to massacre 25% of the global population. Major Redburn managed to survive.
However, Major Redburn realized that the Locust are the descendants of the Sires that he was in guard of at New Hope decades before. He realized the truth when among the Locust was Ukkon who became the Locust Horde's top scientist and geneticist was responsible for the creation of the Locust army's various beasts such as the Corpsers, Brumaks and Reavers.
Hammer of Dawn Strikes[edit | edit source]
Within the first year of the Locust War, Chairman Tomas Dalyell died in office and he was replaced by his Deputy Chairman Richard Prescott. Chairman Prescott was informed that since Emergence Day, each city that the Locust occupied would gain spoils of war and each are used as a stepping stone to reach Ephyra which was one of the last safe places on the planet due to it being almost completely protected by the Jacinto Plateau. With only a limited time to prevent the enemy control, Chairman Prescott ordered that every major city that was outside the Jacinto Plateau should be destroyed by the Hammer of Dawn.
Assassination of Ukkon[edit | edit source]
Mission to CIC Aldair[edit | edit source]
Nearly at the zero hour, Major Redburn was ordered to recover the classified documents about Ukkon from CIC Aldair along with Sergeant Gabriel Diaz who Major Redburn extracted from a bunker at the Aldair Army Base with his squad that was awaiting the Hammer strikes. Major Redburn and Sgt. Diaz fought through the Locust-infested city of Aldair and they gained access to the CIC. In General Becket's office, Sgt. Diaz was able to locate the classified documents on Ukkon. As they found the documents, the Hammer of Dawn Strikes began. While they are unable to return to the bunker, Pvt. Redburn and Sgt. Diaz found a bank vault to take shelter in.
Moments after, Pvt. Redburn and Sgt. Diaz emerged from the bank vault as the city was incinerated. While fighting the surviving squads of the Locust, the two managed to return to the APC. However, upon returning to the Aldair Army Base, they found it destroyed not by the Hammer Strikes, but by the Locust. Major Redburn was convinced that it was Ukkon. Major Redburn had Sgt. Diaz contact Chairman Prescott about the obtained files. In their contact, Chairman Prescott assigned Sgt. Diaz to assemble a task force with Major Redburn to search for and assassinate Ukkon.
Rescue of Echo-Five[edit | edit source]
With Sgt. Diaz's motor pool destroyed, he and Major Redburn began a search for Echo-Five which was another mop-up squad that was stationed in Aldair. Upon driving through the streets, Major Redburn and Sgt. Diaz found Marcella Trinh and Tyrone Shephard who are the two survivors of Echo-Five. The survivors revealed that they are ambushed up the road. Upon returning to the ambush site, they are attacked by the Locust squads. After securing the area, they learned that most of Echo-Five was lost and they are attacked by a new form of Drone that was full of Imulsion.
Sgt. Diaz realized that Ukkon was destroying the mop-up crews while Major Redburn discovered that whoever was left of Echo-Five was taken alive by Ukkon. Advising Sgt. Diaz to use the Tac-Com APC to find their location which Sgt. Diaz was able to find, believing them to be taken to be processed in the Locust Torture Pods. Major Redburn and Sgt. Diaz decided to rescue the Echo-Five prisoners without the help of Trinh and Shephard as they believed that they would slow them down.
However, when the Locust spotted Major Redburn and Sgt. Diaz arrive, they activated the kill timer on the Torture Pods with only two in the area while the rest of Echo-Five was killed. Major Redburn and Sgt. Diaz fought their way through the Locust prison guards and they are successful in reaching the two Torture Pods and releasing the last two survivors of Echo-Five before they are killed. With only four members from Echo-Five, Major Redburn and Sgt. Diaz continued on their personnel recruitment.
Assault on Mikayla's Outpost[edit | edit source]
Following the rescue of Echo-Five, Major Redburn and Sgt. Diaz picked a distress signal up on their Tac-Com from the industrial district of Aldair. Upon arriving, they discovered that a group of civilians who survived the Hammer of Dawn Strikes created an outpost that was led by Mikayla Dorn, but they are under attack by the Locust forces. Major Redburn along with Sgt. Diaz and Echo-Five helped defend the Outpost and rescue a majority of Mikayla's Outpost.
Following the rescue, Mikayla was resentful about the Gears as she and her group are Stranded which are the survivors of the Hammer Strikes who resented the Coalition for killing the civilians and destroying the planet. However, Sgt. Diaz argued that had it not been for them, she and her outpost would have been overrun and he offered her people to join them in the fight. Mikayla saw the conscripting of the civilians as desperate and she knew that they are after Ukkon.
She revealed that she knew about Ukkon because of the places that he regularly visited to scavenge. She offered to show them where if Sgt. Diaz was able to find the appropriate parts and repair her Mammoth. Major Redburn and Sgt. Diaz are successful in retrieving the supplies for the Mammoth after fighting through the Locust and they returned to the industrial district where Sgt. Diaz who was from the motor pool was able to fix the Mammoth to transport her and her people. Mikayla honored her end of the bargain and she escorted them to the warehouse district of Aldair where Ukkon frequented.
Mission: Burning Manticore[edit | edit source]
Mission to Claybourne[edit | edit source]
Remainder of the Locust War[edit | edit source]
Sid Redburn officially abandoned the Coalition along with Gabriel Diaz. However, the two still kept Alpha-Two intact and used the Coalition's resources, but they continued as Stranded by trying to take the Locust Horde and the remainder of Ukkon's army down. Gabriel and Reyna would eventually form a romantic relationship during the war which ended in 17 A.E. after the detonation of the Imulsion Countermeasure Weapon by Professor Adam Fenix. The weapon destroyed all of Imulsion, vaporized the Lambent and crystallized the Locust Horde. It was unknown what happened to Sid Redburn following the assassination of Ukkon. Due to his advanced age, it was unlikely that he was alive during the reconstruction of the Coalition and the Interwar Period, the Outsider Movement and the Swarm War.
Documents[edit | edit source]
Intercepted Letter[edit | edit source]
I apologize for the protocol breach of writing you directly, but I am praying that as a family friend, you can help me with a desperate situation.
When Command offered me a guard position at the New Hope Research Facility, they called it a career-making opportunity: A chance to support the research that would cure Rustlung forever. But, that's not what's happening here.
I was ordered to chain the ill to the bed frames like prisoners, not patients. I had to pin the screaming children down while the lab-coated men with needles tapped their blood and left them to shiver on the floor.
Niles Samson isn't making a cure. He's making things. I can't say what they are. No one can. But, no good can come of it, I promise you.
I beg you, Colonel: Talk to Chairman Monroe. Tell him that the people are suffering here. Tell him that Dr. Samson went mad. I can't stand by and watch this any longer.
Private Sid Redburn
Intercepted in mailroom. Get Redburn OUT of here!
Skills[edit | edit source]
In Gears Tactics, Sid has the following skills:
- Breach - All enemies within 5 meters gain the Breached status effect. Allies who down or kill Breached enemies gain 1 Action and heal 20% of their Maximum Health.
- Demoralize - Shoot. If the target is hit, it is interrupted and loses all positive status effects. Does not affect bosses.
- Distraction (Lv. 1) -
- Distraction (Lv. 2)
- Distraction (Lv. 3) - Distraction has it's cooldown reduced by 2 turns.
- Hunker Down (Lv. 1) - Select a target ally in cover. Target gains +40% Evasion. Target may take no Actions this turn.
- Intimidate (Lv. 1) - Enemies within 10 meters are removed from cover and interrupted.
- Intimidate (Lv. 2) - Enemies within 10 meters are removed from cover, interrupted and receive +20% Damage this turn.
- Rage Shot (Lv. 1) - Shoot with a Damage bonus. The Damage bonus is equal to 100% of your missing health to a maximum of 250 Damage.
- Rage Shot (Lv. 2) - Shoot with a Damage bonus. The Damage bonus is equal to 150% of your missing health to a maximum of 500 Damage.
- Rally (Lv. 1) - Allies within 8 meters gain Leech for their turn. Units with Leech heal 25% of damage dealt by their Shots.
- Rally (Lv. 2)
- Rally (Lv. 3) - Allies within 8 meters gain Leech until the end of your next turn. Units with Leech heal 40% of damage dealt by their Shots.
- Stand Together - Downed allies within 10 meters are revived. Allies within 10 meters get 50% Damage Reduction until the start of your next turn.
- Avenger - When an ally takes damage, this unit gets +25% Damage for this turn for a maximum of 4 stacks. When an ally is downed, this unit gets +1 Action. When an ally dies, this unit gets 3 Actions.
- Charged Up - When this unit kills an enemy with the Bayonet Charge ability, all of this unit's Skills have their cooldowns reduced by 1 turn.
- Defensive Bayonet - When this unit kills an enemy with the Bayonet Charge ability, each ally gets 20% Damage Reduction for this turn.
- Enraged Bayonet - When this unit kills an enemy with the Bayonet Charge ability, this unit gets +20% Damage and 20% Damage Reduction for this turn.
- Executioner - When this unit shoots enemies with less than 50% remaining health, it gets +30% Damage.
- Expertise - When within the Effective Range of the equipped weapon, this unit gets +25% Critical Hit Chance.
- Free Bayonet - When this unit kills an enemy with the Bayonet Charge ability, it gets 1 Action.
- Hemorrhage - When this unit gets a Critical Hit on an enemy, that enemy receives the Bleed status effect. Units with Bleed receive 200 damage at the beginning of the next 3 turns.
- Leech - When an enemy is damaged by a shot from this unit, this unit heals for am amount equal to 25% of the damage dealt.
- Menacing Bayonet - When this unit kills an enemy with Bayonet Charge, all enemies within 7 meters get -20% Accuracy.
- Regeneration - At the beginning of your turn, this unit heals 10% of it's Maximum Health.
- Self-Revive - When this unit is in the downed state at the beginning of your turn, this unit revives.
- Squad Regeneration - Effects from this unit's Regeneration Skill are applied to each ally within 5 meters.
- Survival - When 50% Maximum Health, gain +25% Evasion.
Weapon passive skills
- Swift - When this weapon takes a Shot, it gets a 5% chance to receive 1 Action. This ability will only trigger once per turn.
Behind the Scenes[edit | edit source]
- Sid Redburn is voiced by Bruce Thomas
- Bruce Thomas previously provided the voice for Ezra Pound Loomis