- This article is for the hunters of the Swarm. For the Locust Hunter, see Hunter.
Hunters were especially cunning Swarm Drones that were sent to eradicate exceptional threats to the Swarm, such as veteran Gears. They usually attacked in small groups, kept to cover, and coordinated their attacks to flank foes. Unlike other Swarm Drones, Hunters were exclusively female.
History[edit | edit source]
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Hunters have just as much health as a standard Drone, but their intelligence and signature weapon make them far more dangerous. They'll stay at a distance, usually behind a piece of cover, and make use of the Torque Bow's accuracy to deadly effect. However, Torque Bows have a slight windup time, during which they produce a telltale glow, before they can fire. You'll want to take cover, unless you have a precision weapon; if you're quick enough, you can kill the Hunter before they loose their bolt. Of all the precision weapons, the Longshot is recommended due to its high damage (which outclasses the Markza) and ability to fire without needing to charge first (something that the EMBAR and Torque Bow must do).
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- In Gears 5, Hunters and Elite Hunters were redesigned and revealed to be the female form of Swarm Drones, demonstrating that the Swarm had reduced sexual dimorphism compared to the Locust (female Locust Drones were Berserkers).
- Hunters and Elite Hunters in Gears 5 are both voiced by Alissa White-Gluz, lead singer of the death metal band Arch Enemy.
Multiplayer[edit | edit source]
- The Hunter is a playable multiplayer character for the Swarm in Gears of War 4, and has three unlockable character skins, excluding its Default skin: Color Blast, Onyx Gold, and Spectre. Its Onyx Gold skin is only available in the Onyx Gold Swarm Pack.
- In the Gears of War 4 multiplayer beta, Swarm Hunters donned the Sniper's armor, and vice-versa.
- The Hunter is also playable in Gears 5 multiplayer.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Gears 5: MP character description: "Hunter sightings are most often reported by veteran Gears. This has lead some to believe these cunning foes are sent to eradicate those who have become an exceptional threat to the Swarm."
- Gears of War 4: Collector's Edition Guide, page 35
- The Art of Gears 5