- For other uses, see Carmine.
Gary Carmine was born sometime after 17 A.E. into the Carmine Family. He was considered the "black sheep" of the family for being fiercely independent and critical of the Coalition of Ordered Governments. Despite his criticisms of the COG, he idolized his family member, Clayton Carmine, as a hero.
Joining Fort UmsonEdit
Gary Carmine eventually joined a group of Outsiders at Fort Umson, led by Reyna Diaz. Reyna's brother-in-law, Oscar Diaz, taught Gary everything he knew about combat. Gary became so skilled that he began giving lessons in combat to other villagers.
Battle of Fort UmsonEdit
Gary was manning a Troika Heavy Machine Gun on the main wall when James Dominic Fenix, Kait Diaz, Delmont Walker, and Oscar acquired a Fabricator from Settlement 5 and brought it back to the village. First Minister Mina Jinn sent her Command Bot, accompanied by a Kestrel, to talk with Reyna, not because of the raid on the Settlement 5, but the kidnapping of Jinn's people, accusing Reyna of taking them. After Jinn's negotiations turned to threats, Reyna destroyed the Command Bot and ordered Gary to destroy the Kestrel before it could do any damage. In preparation for Jinn's DeeBee assault on the village, Gary met with Oscar and another Outsider just outside the main building. Oscar complimented Gary on hitting the Kestrel. They were then joined by Reyna, who ordered Gary to go back and man the turret again on the exterior wall. Once the COG forces started to arrive, he destroyed the first Condor that came in.
- "Oh SHIT -- Carmine!"
- —Oscar Diaz after seeing Carmine get hit by the falling DeeBee podsDuring the Battle of Fort Umson, a second Condor flew overhead, dropping DeeBee pods directly onto the wall, which hit Gary Carmine and killed him.
Personality and TraitsEdit
He sports a tattoo of the same model helmet worn by Clayton Carmine on his right bicep. He also has the words "Grub Killer" and a COG army omen embroidered on the back of his jacket, similar to that of Clayton's chest armor design. Despite rejecting the COG, Gary had a fondness for Clayton and regarded him as his hero.
Gary also helped teach target practice and posted a notice to see him for details on the bulletin board in front of the meeting hall.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Gary is voiced by by Charlie Hewson. 
- Gary's first name is inspired by a character sharing the same name from the comic book series Rat Queens.
- Gary is a playable character in Gears of War 4, available in the Tenth Anniversary and Mystery Packs, and craftable via scrap. There is also a Zombie skin that can be unlocked in the Zombie Carmines Gear Pack and the zombie variation is also available via crafting.
- In Gears 5, Gary Carmine is a playable multiplayer character, available as part of the Carmine bundle introduced in mid Operation 3.