Downloadable content, or DLC for short, is a form of add-on for most modern video games. Both similar and unsimilar to other shooter games, Gears of War video game DLC includes more maps to play on and also introduces new characters to play as in Multiplayer.
There are usually new achievements to earn with said map packs.
- 1 Gears of War
- 2 Gears of War 2
- 3 Gears of War 3
- 4 Gears of War: Judgment
- 5 Gears of War 4
- 6 References
Gears of War
Gears of War has six multiplayer maps that can be downloaded off the Xbox Marketplace for no charge at all. These maps include Bullet Marsh, a swampland where the Kryll devour anything that leaves the light; Garden, an urban environment with poisonous greenhouses; Old Bones, a map set in a mausoleum; Process, an underground Imulsion-processing plant; Raven Down, an urban map inspiried by the real-world Battle of Mogadishu; and finally Subway, which is located in an underground train station that has access to the streets above.
Gears of War 2
Flashback Map Pack
Released September 23, 2008
The Flashback Map Pack came bundled with all the new copies of Gears of War 2; those who didn't buy them in time or bought used copies can download it for 400 Microsoft points. The third and final way to have it is to own the Gears of War Triple Pack (which includes the original Gears of War and Gears of War 2 + GoW2 DLC).
Flashback offers five tweaked multiplayer maps from the original Gears of War: Canals, Gridlock, Mansion, Subway, and Tyro Station; all these maps are compatible with Horde mode. Epic Games put it "as a special thanks to the fans".
Combustible Map Pack
Released December 15, 2008
The Combustible Map Pack is the second map pack released by Epic for Gears of War 2. It's currently priced at 400 Microsoft points on the XBL Marketplace and also available through the GoW Triple Pack.
Snowblind Map Pack
Released March 31, 2009
The Snowblind Map Pack is the third downloadable map pack for Gears of War 2. Originally priced for 800 Microsoft points, it is now available for half the original price at 400 points. Like all GoW2 DLC, it comes with the GoW Triple Pack.
Snowblind has four maps to play on, all with a winter-time theme. Two, Fuel Depot and Courtyard, are winterized remakes from previous Gears Of War maps. The other two, Underhill and Grind Yard, are completely new. Epic said, "This winter-theme pack brings four Gears of War 2 maps sure to heat up your multiplayer and Horde action." 
Dark Corners Map Pack
Released July 28, 2009
The Gears of War 2: Dark Corners DLC is the fourth and final in-game downloadable content for Gears of War 2. Released on July 28 at the cost of 1200 Microsoft points, it currently costs 560 points on the XBL Marketplace. Dark Corners offers seven more maps to play on and allows play of a Campaign chapter that wasn't included in the final game. The seven maps consist of Allfathers Garden, Highway, Memorial, Nowhere, Sanctuary, War Machine, and finally Way Station. The deleted campaign chapter is entitled "Road to Ruin" and can be played at anytime regardless of your current position in Gears of War 2's campaign.
Gears of War 3
During an interview with Cliff Bleszinski, he revealed that after Gears of War 3's release some of the series' previous characters will be added as downloadable content; he stated that everyone loves RAAM, practically saying he'll be one of the characters. He also said that Tai is a very popular character but proclaimed he couldn't say too much about future characters.
Rod Fergusson also announced there'll be more to the downloadable content, to what they did in Gears of War 2 by just adding a deleted scene. He has said there'll be new content for Beast mode, Horde 2.0, Campaign and Multiplayer, as well as more playable characters. The following has already been announced.
Depending on where you pre-ordered your copy of Gears of War 3, you would be entitled to a special DLC Multiplayer skin.
- If you were to pre-order on Amazon, you would get a Savage Kantus skin.
- If you were to pre-order at Wal-Mart, you would get a Savage Grenadier Elite skin.
- If you were to pre-order at Gamestop, you would get a special version of Dominic Santiago, titled Commando Dom.
- If you were to pre-order at Best Buy, you would get a special version of Damon Baird, titled Mechanic Baird.
Horde Command Pack
- Three Maps: Blood Drive, Rustlung, Azura
- Three Character Skins: Big Rig Dizzy, Bernie, Onyx Guard
- Two Weapon Skin Sets: Team Plasma, Jungle Camo
- Four Fortification Upgrades for Horde and Beast modes
- New Achievements worth 250 Gamerscore
Versus Booster Map Pack
- A new three-hour campaign set prior to the original Gears of War featuring Zeta Squad, led by Minh Young Kim, and its battle against General RAAM. Players will also get a chance to play as RAAM himself and fight against the Gears.
- Six Character Skins: Minh Young Kim, General RAAM, Michael Barrick, Tai Kaliso, Alicia Valera, Theron Elite
- The Chocolate Weapon Skin Set
- New Achievements worth 250 Gamerscore
- Five Maps: Academy, Escalation, The Slab, Anvil, Depths
- Four Character Skins: Recruit Clayton, Thrashball Cole, Savage Kantus, Savage Marauder
- Three Weapon Skin Sets: Re-Up Plasma, Re-Up Omen, Re-Up Electric
- The Re-Up System for Multiplayer: Essentially a "prestige" system like the "Call of Duty series". Players can "re-enlist" and begin their rank from 1 again after reaching level 100. All unlocks and custom items remain. Additionally, Re-Upping can grant access to the three new weapon skins and new emblems. The player can Re-Up through four tiers of colors; Bronze (default level 100), Red, Green, and Gold.
- New Achievements worth 250 Gamerscore
Forces of Nature
- Five Maps: Aftermath, Artillery, Cove, Jacinto, and Raven Down
- Four Character Skins: Mechanic Baird, Commando Dom, Savage Hunter, and Savage Grenadier Elite Limited.
- Seven weapon skins, two will have to be unlocked.
- Guardian will also return.
- New achievements worth 250 Gamerscore.
Although details are scarce, Epic has confirmed seven Weapon Skins for Forces of Nature, five of which are available right from the get-go while the other two are earned through gameplay on the Forces of Nature maps; these two weapon skins have been based on community feedback none of the less! 
Gears of War: Judgment
Depending on where you pre-ordered your copy of Gears of War: Judgment, you would be entitled to a special DLC Multiplayer skin.
- If you were to pre-order on Amazon, you would get a Young Dom skin.
- If you were to pre-order at Microsoft Store, you would get an Alex Brand skin.
- If you were to pre-order at Gamestop or Game, you would get a Young Marcus skin.
- If you were to pre-order at Best Buy, you would get an Anya Stroud skin.
- If you pre-order at participating retailers, you will get the Classic Hammerburst weapon in multiplayer.
Maxim-Sponsored DLC 1
- One Map: Haven
- Execution mode
Originally the free DLC was to contain two maps, Haven and Capitol. But because Epic needed more time to work on Capitol, its release was pushed back to a different date. 
Call to Arms
Call to Arms was released on April 30, 2013 (April 23, 2013 for VIP Pass holders) for 1000 Microsoft Points (free with the VIP Pass) and contains the following:
- Three Maps: Blood Drive, Boneyard and OverRun exclusive Terminal
- Master at Arms mode
- Two Weapon Skins: Cascade and Chlorophyll
- One Character Skin: Car 13
Maxim-Sponsored DLC 2
Lost Relics was released on June 25, 2013 (June 18, 2013 for VIP Pass holders) for 1000 Microsoft Points (free with the VIP Pass) and contains the following:
- Four Maps: Checkout, Lost City, Museum and OverRun exclusive Ward
- Breakthrough mode
- Two Weapon Skins: Hypno and Snowtopped
- Five Character Skins: Crazy Doctor, Locust and Iceburn, Wooden and UIR
Gears of War 4
Available only in the Gears of War 4: Ultimate Edition and to be sold separately after release. It contains the following:
- Five exclusive digital items as part of the Vintage VIP Pack, including the Vintage James Fenix character skin, Vintage Gnasher and Dropshot weapon skins, a Vintage JD Emblem and a Vintage JD Bounty for extra XP
- Permanent DLC map ownership of 24 additional maps (two per month for a year) for private play on dedicated servers
- Access to an exclusive Developer Playlist where new maps, modes and features can be tested prior to broad release
- A 17-pack Starter Airdrop which contains 85 Gear cards total. It includes:
- 5 Horde Boosters
- 5 Versus Boosters
- 5 Operations Packs
- 2 Elite Packs
Pre-ordering any version of the game anywhere will include the Brothers to the End Elite Gear Pack as well as the Vintage Del Gear Pack. The former contains the following:
- Three Character Skins: Zombie Dom, Old Man Marcus, and Tomorrow Anya
- Two Weapon Skins: Gold Wave Lancer and Gold Wave Gnasher
And the latter:
- One Character Skin: Vintage Delmont
- Vintage Boltok and Longshot weapon skins
- One Emblem: Vintage Del
- One XP Bounty: Vintage Del
- Gears of War 3