- "You Nincompoops. Look at this place. You've burned half the neighborhood, and we've got Locust and Kryll flying up our asses, all thanks to you!"
- —Chaps, berating Marcus and Dom after they arrive at his Gas Station
Chaps was an elderly Stranded man who lived in Ephyra for most of the Locust War. He owned and operated his own gas station up until its destruction during the events of the Lightmass Offensive. He eventually took charge of a Stranded underground camp that was discovered by Delta Squad when they went beneath Mount Kadar.
Nothing much is known about Chaps early life, except he was born during the early years of the Pendulum Wars. At some point in his adulthood, he procured his own business: Aspho Gas Station, known locally as Chap's Gas Station, in the city of Ephyra in the Old Ephyra District.
Six weeks after the end of the Pendulum Wars, a race of subterranian humanoids called the Locust Horde emerged on what would be called Emergence Day to slaughter every man, woman, and child on the surface of Sera. Every major city was attacked, including an attack in Ephyra, but due to the granite base that resided below Ephyra, the Coalition was able to fight off the Locust from digging any further beneath the city. Chaps managed to survive Emergence Day and continue to sell Imulsion at his gas station.
Hammer of Dawn StrikesEdit
On the 30th of Bloom, 1 A.E., the newly elected Chairman Richard Prescott announced to the public that he was reinstating the Fortification Act and would be using the Hammer of Dawn to scorch all Locust-infested cities outside the Jacinto Plateau in three days and urged the citizens of Sera to evacuate to Ephyra. Chaps was already within Ephyra when the Hammer struck three days later, but he believed the Coalition was wrong in not only sacrificing its civilians, but forcing the survivors to obey martial law.
Even though Chaps lived within Ephyra, he later identified as a Stranded, which were survivors of the Hammer strikes who resent and reject the Coalition for using the Hammer of Dawn against their own people. As survivors came pouring into Ephyra, Chaps supplied Stranded camps with Imulsion fuel tanks for transport, heat, and power. He became especially close with Stranded leaders Franklin Tsoko and Stu - eventually joining Franklin's group, the "New Ephyra" Outpost.
Fall of EphyraEdit
In Frost, 10 A.E., the Locust Horde were successful in breaking through the granite base and other defenses and managed to overrun Ephyra during the Fall of Ephyra. The Coalition evacuated to the neighboring city of Jacinto on top of the Jacinto Plateau where the Locust were absolutely unable to dig.
Chaps once again survived this attack and continued to live in Ephyra as the Locust Horde occupied it for the following four years. Over time, Chaps came across an abandoned Armadillo and reconstructed it into Laverne, a Junker fitted with UV spotlights to defend against the Kryll, who occupied Ephyra during the night and were UV sensitive.
- "Next time I'll stay at the exploding Gas Station...."
- —Chaps, when Marcus and Dom have barely got him to the settlement alive
During the Lightmass Offensive in Gale, 14 A.E., Chaps was contacted by Franklin Tsoko and told to fill up Laverne with gas, and allow Sgt. Marcus Fenix and Cpl. Dominic Santiago to take the vehicle. However, he did not think they would make it, and did not fill it up. When they did arrive, he became angry at them for stirring up the Locust. He told them to start filling up the vehicle, and let them stock up on weaponry and ammo from his station in the back before they were ambushed by the Locust.
Chaps helped defend the station from the Locust attack, and left with Sgt. Fenix and Cpl. Santiago in Laverne, but his station was blown up due to Cpl. Santiago disconnecting the active fuel pump and lighting the Imulsion on fire when Laverne knocked over a short-circuiting street lamp. As they drove to Franklin's Outpost, Chaps became a back-seat driver, instructing Sgt. Fenix on where to go and from where the Kryll were attacking. After they arrived and found the outpost under attack, Chaps recommended that they help Franklin, and began walking away while drinking a beer.
- "Well... after you jackasses blew up my station and Franklin's Outpost got overrun, the surface wasn't safe no more."
- —Chaps to Cpl. Santiago, after being asked why he was in the Hollow.
Despite Delta securing Franklin's outpost, most of the Stranded were killed and the outpost was still overrun by Locust. Delta later was successful in using Laverne to defend against the Kryll while they completed the Lightmass Offensive, using the Lightmass Bomb to destroy the Outer Hollow. However, this offensive did not destroy the Locust and in fact made them more desperate in their raids on the surface, and brought with them a force that could sink entire cities such as Tollen and Montevado.
Chaps and his group members felt it was too dangerous living in Ephyra while the Locust raids on the surface got more intense and frequent. Like many Stranded, they began to venture in the Inner Hollow to set up camp - believing the Locust would never find them on their home turf as long as they stayed away from the major roads and Nexus, the Locust capital. Chaps' friend, Stu, led his group first into the caverns beneath Mount Kadar to set up camp, and awaited for Chaps to arrive. Eventually, Chaps joined Stu's camp, but Stu's group was eventually captured by the Locust and taken across the lake to the prison camps along the Locust Highway.
Operation: Hollow StormEdit
- "Oh, pretty. Hmm, something about her face does seem familiar. Maybe she was with one of the other groups that came down before... Stu's group, I think. Ah, but Stu and them got captured."
- —Chaps, telling Cpl. Dominic Santiago about his missing wife, Maria.
In 2nd Frost, 14 A.E., Delta-One arrived at the camp beneath Mount Kadar in a Centaur and once again met Chaps. Delta-One had completed a recon mission that revealed the location of the Locust stronghold beneath Mount Kadar and were sent to flag its location for the Coalition of Ordered Governments Army to invade and attack during Operation: Hollow Storm. Chaps revealed to Sgt. Marcus Fenix that the stronghold was called Nexus and could be reached by crossing the underground lake, but advised the waters weren't safe.
Sgt. Fenix then ordered Pvt. Augustus Cole and Cpl. Damon Baird to evacuate Chaps and the other Stranded back to the surface in the Centaur. Chaps was initially paranoid that rescuing them meant having to join their army, such as Operation Lifeboat, but Sgt. Fenix assured him that wasn't the case. Before leaving, Cpl. Dominic Santiago asked Chaps if he had seen his missing wife, Maria Santiago, and showed her picture. Chaps revealed that she was with Stu's group and that she was likely in the prison camp along the Locust Highway. Chaps and his people were then taken to safety on the surface by Pvt. Cole and Cpl. Baird.
Personality and TraitsEdit
Chaps was a typical Stranded, and blamed Marcus and Dom for the surge of Locust activity in Ephyra when they traversed the streets. He was bitter and paranoid of the COG, and was bossy as he back-seat drove Laverne when travelling through the streets of Ephyra. He was bold and daring when forced to fight, as seen when the Locust attacked Aspho Gas Station. However, Chaps preferred choice is to try to survive by hiding from the Locust rather than take them on like the COG.
Despite hiding from them, Chaps is well-informed on the Locust and their activities, aware of the existence and location of Nexus, which the COG were merely aware existed but didn't know its name. Chaps was also aware of how dangerous the underground lake was and the location of the Locust work camps, despite telling Delta that he never goes near there as it's too dangerous.
He was, like most Stranded, smelly and grubby. Baird complained about him and the other Stranded stinking up the Centaur on the way to the surface.
- "You can kiss my wrinkly old ass!"
- "Nowhere is, son. Not anymore. We were fine here for a few months, as long as you stayed away from the roads and Nexus. But now they're comin' around where they didn't before. Kidnappin' people, torturin' them."
- —Chaps to Dom, after the latter asked the former why he thought the Hollows were safer than the surface
- "Yeah, Nexus. You got wax in your ears? Nexus is where all the Locust come from."
- —Chaps, after Marcus asked what Nexus is
- "Oh, wait a minute! This doesn't mean we gotta fight in your army now, does it?"
- —Chaps, suspicious of Delta Squad's rescue
- "Don't know what good it does you. You ain't gettin' in there unless you're a Locust!"
- —Chaps to Dom, after being thanked for information on the Locust prison camp where Maria might be
Behind the scenesEdit
- Chaps was voiced by Robin Atkin Downes.
- In the deleted chapter Road to Ruin, Marcus comes up with an idea to be clad in Theron Guard armor to pass the Locust fortress undetected, likely taking Chaps' advice of being Locust much too literally.
- In Gears of War 2 multiplayer, Chaps is one of the available meatflags in the multiplayer mode Submission, along with Franklin and Hanley. He wields a Gnasher Shotgun, same as the other two meatflags.
- Gears of War (First appearance)
- Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
- Gears of War 2
- Gears 5 (Mentioned only)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Gears of War: Act 2: Nightfall: Powder Keg
- ↑ Gears of War: Act 2: Nightfall: Burnt Rubber
- ↑ Gears of War: Act 2: Nightfall: Last Stand
- ↑ Gears of War 2 Collectible
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ Gears of War 2 credits
- ↑ Gears of War credits